FAYETTE COUNTY, TEXAS
From Fayette County, Her History and Her People by F. Lotto, 1902:Warrenton lies about thirteen miles northeast of La Grange on the La Grange-Round Top road. It is located on the J. Shaw league. The surrounding country is rich blackland prairie, one of the finest agricultural sections of the county. The town was founded in the early sixties and named after Warren Ligon Warrenton. The Warrenton school is under the able management of Prof. Meitzen.
There are two churches in the town, the Lutheran, of which Rev. Grosse is the pastor, and the Catholic, in which Rev. J. Chromcik of Fayetteville preaches. Two lodges are at the place: Woodmen, Wm. Neese, M. W., Chas. Brendle, secretary, and Sons of Hermann.
Warrenton consists of two stores, two blacksmith shops, one gin and one saloon. Two physicians reside there. Of the gentlemen who thought well enough of the aim of the author to edit a book on Fayette county to the extent of patronizing him with an ad, he names Chas. Franz, the popular postmaster of Warrenton, who is O. K. and treats you O. K. Dr. Robt. H. Seymour is a learned physician, an old resident of Warrenton, and stands well among the people as well as among his colleagues. He is an Irishman, a good scholar and one of the few who are still versed in the Gaelic language. He is a leading democrat of that section of the county. Wm. Trueper is the proprietor of an up-to-date saloon and a fine hall that serves for balls, theatrical performances, public meetings, etc. The hall is situated in a beautiful park. Robert Voelkel is the proprietor of two meat markets, one at Warrenton and one at Oldenburg. He supplies these two communities with fresh meat twice a week. Marshall B. O'Bar is the ginner of the place and has been in the business for about thirty years.
Warrenton was first named Neese's Store. Mr. Wm. Neese, sr., the proprietor of the store, was killed by a negro burglar in 1872. After his death the Lutheran Church of that place was built and the place received its present name Warrenton, after Warren Ligon, an old settler.
The population of the place is now German and Bohemian, with a sprinkling of Americans among them. First and old settlers: Joel W. Robison (deceased), D. Ahrens, Warren Ligon (deceased), John Speckels, sr. (deceased), John White, W. S. Rose, ___ Randall, ___ Spencer, H. Moellenberndt, Conrad Tiemann, Conrad Moellenberndt, Albert Kaltwasser, Dr. McGown, C. Letzerich, Friedr. Oetken, Rev. Rich. Atkinson, ___ Bohms, Martin Dippel, ___ Weikel, M. B. O'Bar, ___ Bell.
Photo of William Neese home by Warren O. AlbrechtFrom Historical Sites & Communities booklet:
... Near Warrenton is what is known as the smallest Catholic Church in the world [St. Martin]. Services are still held twice yearly.... Today, it has several antique shops, restaurants, stores and bars. The town now has a Lutheran church on State Highway 237 northeast of Warrenton. The Warrenton Antique Show has grown from a small weekend gathering to a multi-square mile, two week extravaganza.
Photos of Warrenton during the antique show contributed by Sarah Reveley
From Warrenton, take FM 237 South about 1 mile.
Nathaniel Townsend (1804-1864) came to Texas in 1830. He hired James Stephens to build this house, which was finally completed in the late 1830s, following the Texas Revolution and Townsend's service as Republic of Texas consul in New Orleans. German immigrant Heinrich Bremer purchased it in 1905, and it remained in his family until 1961. A rare example of Republic of Texas-era architecture, the house exhibits Greek revival influences. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990
Photo contributed by Marion and Steve Daughtry
Charles, August and Fritz Gau, ca 1885
Petersen photograph; please contact Rox Ann Johnson if you are related to this family
Related LinksSt. Martin Catholic Cemetery
Florida Chapel Cemetery
See Photo of August Werbach playing the organ, Warrenton, Texas, ca. 1895.
Winedale Photograph Collection, University of Texas Center for American History
Related articles at the Handbook of Texas OnlineWarrenton, Texas
Joel Walter Robison