ROSS PRAIRIE, FAYETTE COUNTY, TEXAS
Osveta School, ca 1905
Rev. Jindrich Juren is the teacher. Five of his children are in the photo.
1st row, 5th from left is his son, William, next is Richard, ?, then Charles
3rd row, right of Rev. Juren is his daughter, Ida "Bessie"
Top row, 6th from left is his son, Otto
Others thought to be included are five or six Jecmenek children, three Volcik boys, and several Franta children.
Can you identify others?
The Osveta Public School was a one room frame building of approximately 24 X 40 feet with a porch. It was built next to the Fayetteville Brethren church, known at that time as the Evangelical Unity of the Czech-Moravian Brethren in North America, and was built on the land that was donated by Thomas Jecmenek for the church and school. It consisted originally of fourteen acres and was located at Ross Prairie about two miles south of Fayettevillle, Texas. The church and school were both built about 1875.
After the arrival of Reverend Henry Juren in 1876 he became the resident pastor of the Fayetteville Brethren church and soon thereafter became the teacher of the Osveta Public School.
From The Life and Times of Reverend Jindrich Juren 1850 - 1921, contributed by Ruth Juren
Related Articles at Fayette County TXGenWeb Site:
St. John Lutheran Church of Ross Prairie & Ellinger
includes online church records