We are indebted to Kathy Carter, director of the Fayette Heritage Archives and Museum, for the following cemetery information. Most of these cemeteries were visited by Kathy Carter, Helen Muras and Annette Ruckert in the early 1990s. Kathy and her staff will check their extensive cemetery database for you by e-mail. All you need is a surname. You do not need to know the name of the cemetery.
All cemetery photos by Rox Ann Johnson unless otherwise noted. If you have a photograph or information about a cemetery you'd like to contribute to this site, please contact Rox Ann.
Kenner Family CemeteryColony
Joe Cole recorded the following on March 9, 1958 [#003W]: A family cemetery of Frierson, Kinner and others. One and one-half miles eaast of Colony on the Bruner place near a clay pit in the SE corner of the Bruner field. Cedar trees on graves, no stones. About June 10, 1958, Cole makes a correction and states: I said that Markham Kinner and his wife were buried in No. 3 but it is only Markham and a son. His wife is buried at Austin, Tex.
The following is taken from Memories of By-Gone Days by Rosa Berry Cole: pg. 1 -- Markham Kenner, I knew but very little. He was part Irish, a big six-footer with flush complexion, red hair and blue eyes. He was a very rough, gruff man with a loud voice and a curse word at the end of anythinghe had to say, no God or a hope of a home in the hereafter, just to run rough shod over any one that had a weaker nature. His hobby was wine and women. Lawful or otherwise, he had nothing - just a roaming Irishman.
pg. 3 -- Mark and Nancy (Alley) Kenner who wer married in March of 1813. Her father (Dr. Thomas Alley) was against her marriage as she had never been taught to rough it. He (Markham Kenner) was a wandering rough-neck thinking he would have an easy time as a doctor's son-in-law, but this is where he got his first shock. The old man (Dr. Alley) told them the world was free and go make his start if he wanted one.
They went first to West Virginia where their first child was born, Lucinda, on August 8, 1814. They then went to Tennessee to his sister, Betsy Kenner Berry, who was the wife of David Berry. When David Berry's brother, Jack Berry, wrote from Texas about it being a paradise with hunting of every kind available and so on, David decided to move to Texas. He already had 2 brothers, and a cousin there. Markham & Nancy Kenner, along with their two children, Lucinda & Housen, decided to come to Texas too. The group traveled by ox wagon to the Ohio River where they boarded a flat boat and traveled down the Ohio River to the Mississippi River to the Gulf of Mexico and then to Port Velasco where they landed mid 1832. They were met by Jack & Thomas Berry. Jack Berry left on the boat when it began its return trip and was never heard from again. It took them about 10 days to travel overland to their new homes in Woods Prairie.
Lucinda [Kenner] married Thomas Berry in August 1833 and had one son William T. Berry. After Thomas Berry's death in 1837, she married Josiah O'Daniel in 1839 and had another son, Joel A. O'Daniel. After O'Daniel's death in 1845, she married William Gorham in 1848. They had no children. Lucinda Kenner Berry O'Daniel Gorham died 7-21-1903 and is buried at Pin Oak Cemetery.From Memories of By-Gone Days, pg. 13-14 -- Grandmother Kenner had written to one of her brothers . . . to come and get her and her son Houson . . . Mark Kenner wanted her to sell some of the Negroes that she owned and give him the money ... but she would not sell... He got very mad, but didn't dare lay hands on her with her brothers both there, so he said, "I'll take your baby and you will never see him again." ... The baby was only four years old, and he rode off and she never saw either of them again.
Houson Kenner was taken to his aunt, one of Markham Kenner's sisters, in Tennessee where he was raised. This aunt wrote to Nancy Kenner and told her about the child. By the time Houson Kenner grew up, his mother was dead but he wanted to come to Texas to see his sister, Lucinda. He made it to Mississippi where he fell ill and died.
Markham Kenner did not return to Texas till after Nancy Kenner's death on January 19, 1856. She is buried at Pin Oak Cemetery. Markham Kenner had married a widow, Mrs. Catherine Harrell, in Tennessee. Mrs. Harrell had six children but brought only 3 to Texas. They were Warren and twins Brand (Duncan) and Neill. The twins are buried in Smithville.
Markham Kenner and Mrs. Harrell Kenner had two children: Valley (listed as Catherine on 1870 Census & Virginia V. on 1880 Census) & Markham Jr. (listed as Malcolm on 1870 Census & Markham in the 1880 Census). Valley married Lumpkin Reid of near Gonzales and she died sometime around 1900. Markham Kenner, Jr. is described as a half-wit who could not talk like regular folks. He lived to be 20 or more and then died. The family lived at a place called the colony which was 16 to 18 miles from Black Jack Springs.
According to notes and letters from Joe Cole in the Freytag Family files (see folders on Kenner, O'Daniel, Alley, Berry, & Gorham), Markham Kenner died 4-7-1873 and is buried at Kenner family cemetery. It is assumed that Markham Kenner, Jr. died after the census of 1880 and is buried with his father. Joe Cole states that Mrs. Harrell Kenner is buried in Austin. The burial sites for Valley Kenner Reid and Warren Harrell are not known.
The 1870 Fayette County Census lists a Charles Frierson, age 53; wife Mary 2 age 52; children-- George P., John N., Julia L., & Mary H. Some of this family is probably buried at this site. George P. Frierson is buried at Oak Hill, Flatonia.
In 1958, Joe Cole recorded this site as follows: Lost grave. There is a grave or graves a few miles southeast of Schulenburg on the farm of Mr. Gabe Warren. The field has been plowed up and put into cultivation. Mr. Warren did not know of the grave or graves until I informed him of them. I was told of the graves August 7, 1958 by Mr. John Vacek and his son, L.J. Vacek. Mr. Vacek is 75 years old and he said the graves had been there his entire life. [Joe Cole #122W]
Norman Krischke worked on this site in 1973: He interviewed Mrs. Gabe (Clara) Warren and she said that Elijah Warren (Gabe's father) told her that the area 100 yards northeast of the house was once a dense thicket. A man who had kidnapped a young girl was hiding in the thicket. The posse found him there and killed him when he tried to get away. They buried him on the spot. She did not know who the man was or who he had kidnapped. Vinc Hollas had said there were three stones at the place. Mrs. Warren only knew the story of the one grave.
In 1859, Fayette County Deed records, Volume N, pg 264, Deed #5624 tells us that there was a "Christian Church" at this site on 8.5 acres of land.
L.J. Vacek told Krischke that he would go rabbit hunting all over the neighborhood as a kid (1938) and he remembered seeing a broken down wood fence in a patch of weeds and a few saplings. There were several rocks there, one about 12 inches square. His father, John Vacek, always said there were 2 or 3, maybe 4 graves there.
See Krischke's report "Kidnapper's Grave" for map of location. No names were added to the cemetery database for this cemetery.
According to the Joe Cole Cemetery Survey of 1959, a Mrs. Kiel and her baby were buried on the Tom Taylor farm 1.5 miles east of Halsted near the MKT railroad bridge over Baylor Creek. There was no further info as to whom Mrs. Kiel was related. The grave is under a large live oak tree.
Adolf Klaeveman Grave
Mrs. Edmund (Cally Klaeveman) Hertel told Norman Krischke about this grave on Oct. 2, 1970. She is the youngest daughter of Christopher & Meta Klaeveman and was born on the old home place. She has a family record book showing births, marriages and deaths of the family. Christopher & Meta Klaeveman are buried at the Freyburg Methodist Church Cemetery. The grave on the home place is that of Adolf Klaeveman, son of C. & M. Klaeveman born May 31, 1884 and died May 7, 1885. There was never a stone marker for the grave. Adolf was buried in the pasture near a large hackberry tree; the tree has since died and rotted away. The cedar tree which marks the grave now was about 4 feet high when Cally married in 1918 and estimated that the tree was planted about 1905.
For more information, a photo of the Klaeveman's and a map, see Graves, Graves, Graves by Norman C. Krischke, copyrighted 1999, in the Fayette Heritage Library, Archives, and Museum.
Albert Knezek Grave
Norman Krischke found & mapped this grave on Jan. 19, 1974. This single grave is located about 660 feet off of Hranicky Road/County Road 433 on Blahuta (1974) property: Albert Knezek, born 1808, died March 10, 1866.
This cemetery is named Kopecky (Ko-petch-key) Cemetery for Jan (John) Kopecky as it was on the Kopecky Estate and any previous name is not known. The cemetery is located nine-tenths of a mile northwest of the Highway 159-237 and FM 2981 intersection on the left side of the farm road. This is near the small town of Oldenburg. It is located in a dense thicket of liveoak and hackberry trees, briars and vines. This property now belongs to Charles Powell. Many of the stones have been destroyed and even removed from this cemetery that at one time covered two acres.
There were sandstones without markings and two with inscriptions. One of the graves was that of Jan Kopecky. The inscription read:Nar. 26 pros. 1828 Zemi. 18 list. 1896
The other stone is that of Julia Ross. June 26, 1852, Aged 20 months.
There were stones without inscriptions in the cemetery, but the thicket was so dense that no effort was made to find them.
Kraus Family Cemetery
This cemetery is located on private property east of FM 1457 near its intersection with Nassau Road between Shelby and Round Top. It is denoted on County Maps but was not originally surveyed in the Joe Cole Survey. The cemetery has been cemented over and enclosed within an iron fence.
Krebs Family CemeteryWillow Springs
The Krebs Family cemetery is located on a private road off Krebsville Road .7 mile northeast of FM 954. The shady cemetery is another .7 mile northwest of Krebsville Road. It became a burial place in 1849 when Heinrich and Dorothea Keidel Krebs' daughter was stillborn. The cemetery is fenced and contains more than eighty graves, all but one of which belong to Krebs descendants.
Kroll Family Cemetery
According to the Joe Cole Cemetery Survey of 1959: "Five miles northeast of Halsted, Texas on the Charley Polasek farm is the Mayer & Kroll family graveyard. There are no marked graves, no dates. It is just east of Polasek's house. Mrs. Polasek said she only knew one grave, the grave of Charley Kroll, a brother of Theo. Kroll of La Grange, Texas. Located August 23, 1959."
In 1973-1974 the Lower Colorado River Authority of Austin purchased land in Fayette County for the construction of the Fayette Power Project. Several cemeteries were in the boundaries of the project acreage. All the affected burials were disinterred and moved to new sites. Descendants of the deceased were contacted and signed permits were obtained to allow the work to proceed. More than 125 burial sites were involved in the relocation project. The bodies were moved to the New La Grange City Cemetery; Old La Grange City Cemetery; New La Grange Black Cemetery; Fayetteville City Cemetery, New Biegel-December Family Cemetery (on LCRA property); Nordheim Cemetery in De Witt County; and the New Spring Hill Missionary Colored Baptist Church Cemetery.
Four graves were identified at this site. They were moved to the New La Grange City Cemetery, Lot 380.
According to Norman C. Krischke's booklet, Biegel Settlement, copyrighted 1999, the following were buried in the Kroll Cemetery and reinterred in the Kroll Plot of the new La Grange City Cemetery:
Kroll, Alfred, 1894 - 7 Oct 1896
Kroll, Bertha von Els, 1811 - 1876
Kroll, Carl H., 1879 - 22 Nov 1898
Kroll, Helmuth C.. 1813 - 1883
Information on the site of this cemetery came from Paul Boeer in the early 1990s. Willie Tielsch owned the land at that time. There are about four or five graves in an iron fence. It is believed that the following people are buried in the family plot at the Kugler family home: Annie Schulz Kugler (died before 1868), Augusta Kugler (died before 1870), Carl Kugler ( died 3 Mar 1898), and Christian Gerstenberg Kugler (Died 24 May 1912).
Additional research on the Kugler Family can be found in the cemetery files of the Fayette Heritage Archives.
La Grange Black Cemetery
The La Grange Black Cemetery is located on Eblin Street adjacent to the La Grange City Cemetery.
Old La Grange Black CemeterySee photos of markers in the Old La Grange Black Cemetery.
La Grange City Cemetery
See photos of a few of the markers in the La Grange City Cemetery.
Old La Grange City Cemetery
See the historical marker, history and photos of the Old La Grange City Cemetery, plus a list of Terry's Texas Rangers buried there.
La Grange Jewish Cemetery
Historic Texas Cemetery designation
View a listing of gravesites in the La Grange Jewish Cemetery
See Footprints of Fayette article, La Grange Jewish Cemetery
La Grange Poor Farm Paupers' CemeterySee a description of the La Grange Paupers' Cemetery and photographs of all the markers.
Jim Larkins Grave
According to the Joe Cole Survey of June 11, 1958 [#086W], this site is "two miles west of La Grange on Highway 609 at the home of Frank Vaclavic and F. L. Janda. Under a large live oak tree is a grave with a large rock for a headstone. I was told by Mr. Janda that when he bought the place from the Nollcamper family that Mr. Henry Follaman told him it was a grave of a Negro man who died while working for the Nollcamper family. I asked a few Negroes in La Grange about the grave and was told it was Jim Larkins of Muldoon, TX. I knew old Jim when I was a kid. He was known as a Negro who could outrun anybody white or black and it was said he out run a horse one time when Bunk Stagner tried to rope him."
See photographs of the Ledbetter Cemetery.
Little Bethel Community Cemetery
The cemetery is located on FM 3233 just west of FM 155. This is sometimes called the Baptist Cemetery. It was associated with the Little Bethel Baptist Church, now called the New Bethel Baptist Church and located on Loehr Road.
Loughname Family Cemetery
The Loughnane (pronounced lock'- nane) Family Cemetery is located at Twin Oak Farms, 8213 Anders Bottom Road inside a 12' X 12' enclosure of split cedar rails with turned ends. It holds a single 18" X 24" grey granite tombstone. Buried there are Brendan Patrick Loughnane, 1931 - 1979 and Sonja Delores Loughnane, 18 Feb1931 - 25 Sep 1994. Mrs. Loughnane was born in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the daughter of Fred and Elisabeth Borstel. She died at her home in Holman. - from leaflet, Loughnane Family Cemetery, Fayette County, Texas, by Norman C. Krischke.
Lux Family Cemetery
According to the Joe Cole Cemetery Survey of 1959, this site is 8 miles southeast of La Grange, Texas; one mile south of Highway 71 on the Otto E. Stolle farm.
Lux, Anton, 2 Apr 1831 - 11 Nov 1895
Lux, Barbara, 5 Oct 1830 - 19 Jan 1903
Lux, Joseph, 11 May 1865 - 22 Sep 1903
Zwiener, Ottilia, 12 Nov 1884 - 26 Dec 1884
Four unmarked graves
Lyons Family Cemetery
Eilers Street, SchulenburgNow considered a part of the Schulenburg City Cemetery, there is a Texas Historical Commission Marker for the Lyons Family Cemetery:
LYONS FAMILY CEMETERY
James Lyons (b. 1778) brought his family to Texas from New York in 1820. While working outside his cabin near this site on Oct. 15, 1837, Lyons was killed by Comanches. His was the first grave in this family cemetery. His 12-year-old son Warren (b. 1825) was captured in the attack and held by the Indians for about 10 years before he was able to return home. In 1848 he married Lucy Boatright. They later settled in Johnson County, where he died in 1870. A stone erected here in 1931 states incorrectly that Warren Lyons, rather than his father James, was a victim of the 1837 raid. 
There are also historical markers for Col. Wm F. Upton and William B. Bridgers:
COL. WILLIAM F. UPTON (1832 - 1887)
Coming to Texas in 1853, W. F. Upton settled near High Hill. He organized (1861) and was Lieutenant Colonel of Texas state troops guarding frontiers and coastline during the Civil War. A leading state legislator in 1866 and 1879-85, he aided post-war recovery in Texas. Had a store in Schulenburg many years. A West Texas County, created soon after he died, honors name of Col. Upton and a brother, Col. John C. Upton, a hero killed at second battle of Manassas in 1862. Recorded-1976
WILLIAM B. BRIDGERS
As a member of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300," William B. Bridgers received land in Texas in 1824. He and his wife, Cynthia Ross (died c. 1831), had three daughters. Bridgers was a member of Capt. John Alley's company, which rushed to aid Col. John H. Moore of Fayette County during the Texas Revolution. He married Eliza Lyons Tribble and moved to Fayette County. They owned land in four counties and were the parents of six children. A farmer, rancher and hat maker by trade, William B. Bridgers served as a Fayette County justice of the peace and postmaster of Lyons. His burial site is undocumented, but possibly he is buried here in the Lyons Family Cemetery. (2001)